Spacecraft Plasma Interactions Network in Europe (SPINE)
The objective of this network is to share resources and to co-ordinate efforts in all domains related to the interaction of Spacecraft with the space plasma. The creation of this network and its primary objectives have been decided during a Round Table held on 24-2-2000 at ESTEC. SPINE stands for Spacecraft Plasma Interactions Network in […]
The SPINE community is an open, peaceful and non-profits scientific and industrial community, dedicated to the study and the modelling of the interactions between space plasma and space systems, including spacecraft, payloads, scientific instruments, natural space objects. Spacecraft-plasma interactions include: spacecraft charging, in surface (i.e. surface charging) the computation of the electrostatic sheath structures and […]
Publications and scientific communications
Developed tools and SPINE related activities have led to numerous scientific publications and communications.
- Modeling of Plasma Probe Interactions With a PIC Code Using an Unstructured Mesh
Hilgers, A., S. Clucas, B. Thiébault, J.-F.s Roussel, J.-C. Matéo-Vélez, J. Forest, and D. Rodgers, Modeling of Plasma Probe Interactions With a PIC Code Using an Unstructured Mesh, IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci, Vol 36, No5 Part2, pp 2319-2323, DOI: 10.1109/TPS.2008.2003360, Oct 2008.
- SPIS modelling capabilities, achievements and prospects
Roussel, J.-F., Rogier F., Dufour G., Matéo-Vélez J.-C., Forest J., Hilgers A., Rodgers D., Girard L., and D. Payan, SPIS modelling capabilities, achievements and prospects, IEEE Trans. Plasma Science, Vol 18, No5, Oct 2008.
- Electron density estimations derived from spacecraft potential measurements on Cluster in tenuous plasma regions
Pedersen, A., B. Lybekk, M. André, A. Eriksson, P.-A. Lindqvist F. Mozer, P. M. E. Décréau, A. Masson, H. Laakso, H. Rème, J.-A. Sauvaud, A. Fazakerley, K. Svenes, G. Paschmann, K. Torkar and E. Whipple, Electron density estimations derived from spacecraft potential measurements on Cluster in tenuous plasma regions, J. Geophys. Res., in press, 2008, doi:10.1029/2007JA012636
- Electrostatic structure around spacecraft in tenuous plasmas
Cully, C. M., R. E. Ergun, and A. I. Eriksson, Electrostatic structure around spacecraft in tenuous plasmas, J. Geophys. Res., 112, A09211, doi:10.1029/2007JA012269 13 September 2007
News and events
The SPINE community organises regularly meetings and events. SPINE meetings are open to all participants and, in most of the cases, without registration fee.
- SPIS Usage surveyIn the frame of an ESA activity, we are planning to implement a HPC version of the the numerical core of SPIS (mainly targeting electrical propulsion and lunar dust activities). We would appreciate if you could share about your experience … Read more
- 29th SPINE Workshop announcementThe 29th SPINE workshop will take place from November 30th until December 2th 2022, COVID restrictions permitting, as an in-person meeting, at IRF Kiruna premises in Sweden. The SPINE workshop is a European forum addressing all topics related to spacecraft … Read more
- 16th Spacecraft Charging Technology ConferenceThe 16th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference has been rescheduled for April 4-8, 2022 and will take place virtually. Abstract Submission already is open until February 28. You can find more information on the official website of the conference: https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/sctc2022/.
SPIS, for Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Software, is a rich and advanced 3D modelling tool for the spacecraft-plasma interactions, able to model a large set of phenomenon relative to spacecraft charging. SPIS includes an advanced 3D electrostatic plasma solver based on a unstructured mesh and able to dynamically model detailed sheath structures around complex and realistic … Read more
Other tools and data
- PicUp3D is a simple, academic and experimental 3D structured plasma codes, for PIC model educational applications.
- Freja Charging Database
- Documentations and SCTC proceedings gathers a large set of scientific publications and documents related to the plasma-space systems interaction.