You can find here the list of events organised by the SPINE community or concerning spacecraft-plasma interaction in general. To access the history of SPINE meetings only, proceed to the dedicated page.
- 30th SPINE announcementThe 30th SPINE workshop will take place from December 6th 14:00 until December 8th 14:00 2023 in ESA/ESTEC, The Netherlands. Contributions are welcome in all topics of interest for the European spacecraft/plasma community at large. For the 30th edition contributions covering the following domains are encouraged : Contributions addressing all other aspects such as : are also welcome. The registration and abstract submission deadline have been extended until November 16th 2023 18:00 CEST. To register and submit your contributions, please use the following link: For this 30th SPINE workshop, a tour of ESTEC facilities will be organised. Looking forward to see you soon in ESTEC Campus !
- 29th SPINE workshop first announcement and location surveyThe 29th SPINE workshop will be held between November 30th and December 9th 2022, with a baseline option from December 5th to 7th, and a back-up option from November 30th to December 2d. To come back to some location where one of the first SPINE meeting was held more than 20 years ago, we are proposing this year a physical meeting in Kiruna, Sweden, where our IRF colleagues are kindly offering their help in arranging a convenient workshop room. As travelling to Kiruna is not necessarily easy, we have to consider other locations. A survey including a few alternatives is proposed here: Please… Read more: 29th SPINE workshop first announcement and location survey
- 16th Spacecraft Charging Technology ConferenceThe 16th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference has been rescheduled for April 4-8, 2022 and will take place virtually. Abstract Submission already is open until February 28. You can find more information on the official website of the conference: https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/sctc2022/.
- 28th SPINE MeetingThe 28th SPINE meeting will take place on June 8th, 9th and 10th, as an online webex event. Details about how to connect will be sent the week before. A conference room will be accessible in ESTEC on June 8th and 9th (but not 10th), with a VERY limited number of on site attendees (7 to 10 external max) – follow- up information will be provided. Please let us know by replying to this e mail if you wish to attend in person. Registration through the even website is still open, abstracts are not strictly mandatory but we expect a very large majority… Read more: 28th SPINE Meeting
- 27th SPINE meetingThe 27th SPINE meeting will take place on the 19th and 20th of February 2020 at ESA / ESTEC (room Newton 2), 2200AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands. This SPINE workshop is an open forum on new research and technological results, needs and plans in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions. Contributions are very welcome in the various topics of interest for the European spacecraft/plasma community at large, such as: Evolution of surface and internal charging environments and standards Material properties (measurements, databases, new materials, etc ..) Ground and space based experiments for surface and internal charging Electric propulsion driven plasma environments,… Read more: 27th SPINE meeting
- 16th SCTC conference16th Spacecraft Charging and Technology Conference, March 30-April 2, 2020, Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA
- 26th SPINE meetingThe 26th meeting of the Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Network in Europe (SPINE) will be hosted by ONERA on the 11th and 12th of June 2019 , 2 avenue Edouard Belin, Toulouse, France. This year and due to the dynamic and rising area of spacecraft charging in the context of electrical propulsion the SPINE workshop will be organised in coordination with Comittee of Expert workshop (https://www.comet-cnes.fr/) organised by CNES and ONERA on Electrical propulsion, held after the SPINE on June 13th (participation to this is handled through a separate invitation). This SPINE workshop is an open forum on new research and… Read more: 26th SPINE meeting
- 25th SPINE meetingThe 25th meeting of the Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Network in Europe (SPINE) will be held on the 25th and 26th of October 2018 at ESTEC (ESCAPE Dance room), Keplerlaan 1, 220AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands The SPINE workshop is an open forum on new research and technology, needs and plans in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions. We seek contributions on topics of interest such as : Charging environments and standards Material properties (measurements, databases, new materials, etc ..) Electric propulsion plasma environments, interactions with spacecraft and electrical orbit raising Charging of Cubesats and Nanosats Particle and Wave instrument contamination by… Read more: 25th SPINE meeting
- 15th SCTC conferenceThe 15th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference (SCTC2018) will be held at Integrated Research Center of Kobe University, Japan from 25th to 29th of June, 2018.
- 24th SPINE meetingThe 24th meeting of the Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Network in Europe (SPINE) will be held on 23rd of October 2017 at ESTEC (Newton 1 room), Keplerlaan 1, 220AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands. This one day workshop will be an open forum on new research and technology, needs and plans in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions. In particular we seek to trigger interactions with the scientific community on the topic of electrostatic cleanliness of scientific spacecraft embarking sensitive wave and particle instrumentation together with ion emitting systems (e.g. THOR/CLUSTER missions). In addition aspects related to material properties and databases /exchange formats… Read more: 24th SPINE meeting
- 23rd SPINE meetingThe 23rd meeting of the Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Network in Europe (SPINE) will be held on 4-5 April 2017 at ESA Headquarter, 8-10 rue Mario-Nikis, Paris, FRANCE. This will be a venue to discuss new research and technology requirements and plans in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions and to present scientific results and work in progress. It is expected that this SPINE meeting will address the following topics: Material properties (measurements, databases, new materials, etc ..) Charging environments and standards Electric propulsion plasma environment Plasma instruments and electrostatic cleanliness SPIS performance and current and future developments This list is… Read more: 23rd SPINE meeting
- 22nd SPINE meetingThe 22th meeting of the Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Network in Europe (SPINE) will be held on 23-24 March 2016 at CNES- The French space agency, Room Léonard de Vinci, 18 avenue Edouard Belin, 31 401 TOULOUSE CEDEX 9, FRANCE. This will be a venue to discuss new research and technology roadmaps in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions and to present scientific results and work in progress. This SPINE meeting will be jointly organized by ESA, ONERA and the CNES CCT-Space and Atmospheric Environment and will particularly focus on the electric propulsion and the interaction of plasma plumes with spacecraft.… Read more: 22nd SPINE meeting
- 14th SCTC conferenceThe 14th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference will be held at ESA-ESTEC, Noordwijk (Netherlands) from 4 to 8 April, 2016.
- 21st SPINE meetingWe intend to hold the 21st meeting of the Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Network in Europe (SPINE) on 18-19 May 2015 at ESA Head Quarters, Room C, 8-10 rue Mario Nikis, 75015 Paris, France. An access plan and other informations are available here. This will be a venue to discuss new research and technology roadmaps in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions and to present scientific results and work in progress. Preliminary agenda We expect to especially address the following topics: Electrostatic cleanliness, charging and deep dielectric charging of satellites Plasma instruments Electric propulsion environment and Solar Arrays contamination Material electrical… Read more: 21st SPINE meeting
- SPIS developers course at ESTECIn order to promote contributions from the community, ESA/ESTEC has commissioned this course on the 20th and 21st of May 2014 with the specific aim of expanding knowledge on how to extend the core SPIS capabilities. It was always intended that SPIS would be a toolkit that could be readily modified and expanded and its the modular architecture was adopted for this reason. However, our experience has been that the knowledge on how to modify the code has not expanded far from the original developers and few other users have had the confidence to make modifications to the code. There… Read more: SPIS developers course at ESTEC
- 20th SPINE meetingWe intend to hold a meeting of the Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Network in Europe (SPINE) on 17 March 2014 at ESA HQ (Paris, France). This will be a venue to discuss new research and technology roadmaps in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions and to present new scientific results. Preliminary agenda: 20th SPINE Meeting17 March 2014Room B0344ESA HQ, 8-10 rue Mario Nikis, 75015 Paris, France Invitation: Participation to the meeting is free of charge and open to all organisations from ESA member states. Please indicate your willingness to participate to the meeting and whether you plan to present some material… Read more: 20th SPINE meeting
- 19th SPINE meeting, SPIS Final presentations & SPIS trainingYou are cordially invited to attend the 19th SPINE meeting and the final presentations of three ESA TRP funded activities, developed with the SPIS (Spacecraft Plasma Interaction System) software, followed by training on the SPIS-GEO and AISEPS applications. Location and date: All events will be held at ESTEC, Noordwijk the Netherlands from Tuesday 19 March to Thursday 21 March 2013. Agenda: Tuesday 19 March – 19th SPINE meeting – ESTEC Room Ba024 13:00-14:00 Standards in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions 14:00-12:00 ESA’s Technology development plans (GSTP, TRP, SSA and others) 15:00-17:00 New results and current issues in the area… Read more: 19th SPINE meeting, SPIS Final presentations & SPIS training
- 12th SCTC conferenceThe 12th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference will be held at the Kitakyushu International Conference Center in Kitakyushu (Japan) from 14 to 18 May, 2012.
- 18th SPINE meetingThe 18th SPINE Meeting will take place on 7 March at ESA/ESTEC Noordwijk. The Netherlands. One or two SPIS training sessions will be organised the same week. The first session will take place on 5-6 March. Depending on the number of expressions of interest received a second session may be organised on 8-9 March. To express your expression of interest, please send us the following form at contact_at_spis.org preferably before the 15th of December 2011. SPIS is your software, tell us if a SPIS training may interest you! Attendees data 1) SPINE meeting: Workshop and call for inputs The 18th… Read more: 18th SPINE meeting
- IAGA symposiumSee IAGA Symposium A08.1 on ‘New Techniques and Instrumentation in Space Plasma Physics’ at IUGG General Assembly, 28 June-7 July, 2011, Melbourne, Australia
- 17th SPINE meeting17th SPINE Meeting – Computational tools for electrostatic cleanliness and space instrument accommodation analysis – 17-19 January 2011, Uppsala University, Uppsala Sweden Attendees data Computational tools for electrostatic cleanliness and space instrument accommodation analysis: Workshop and call for inputs SPIS, the Spacecraft-Plasma Interactions System, is an open source software for spacecraft-plasma interaction simulations, developed and maintained by the Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Network (SPINE) and freely available at www.spis.org. In recent years, SPIS has been used for simulation of particles and field instruments on spacecraft, e.g. to meet the scientific needs for increased accuracy of measurements of low-energy ions and electrons… Read more: 17th SPINE meeting
- 16th SPINE meeting16th SPINE Meeting Purpose This meeting will be mainly targeted to the identification of requirements for new R&D activities in the area of spacecraft plasma interactions. The first half day will be devoted to the presentation of new results as well as ideas and concepts and current plans of Agencies and industry R&D activities. The second half day will be a round table to exchange ideas on the requirements for new R&D activities. Participation to the meeting is free of charge and open to all organisations from ESA member states but require by sending an email to: Alain Hilgers at… Read more: 16th SPINE meeting
- 15th SPINE meeting15th SPINE Meeting on the 28th and 29th of September 2009 at ONERA, Toulouse, France. Presentations Purpose Particular themes are: SPIS developments and validation Plasma instruments and in-flight demonstrations. Background There are, in various stages of execution and planning, various studies that use and update the SPIS simulation software. This is extending the capability of the code and it is important that the community is kept informed of these changes. At the same time, the validation of the code is becoming more critical as the range of applications increases. Plasma instruments are being flown and are planned for a number… Read more: 15th SPINE meeting
- 14th SPINE meeting14th SPINE Meeting to prepare modelling capabilities in support of plasma instruments for Cosmic Vision Access to presentations Background: Spacecraft plasma interactions (especially spacecraft charging and contamination by secondary particles) can strongly perturb plasma and particle measurements in space. Therefore, modelling these interaction is important for optimising the design of plasma instruments and their location on the platform and for the scientific exploitation of the data because . Cross-scale, Laplace, Tandem and other Cosmic Vision missions are planned to include plasma payloads to investigate the magnetospheres of Earth, Jupiter and Saturn and other solar system plasmas. Electrostatic cleanliness of such… Read more: 14th SPINE meeting
- 13th SPINE meetingThe 13th SPINE meeting dedicated on measurement requirements for spacecraft plasma interaction effects analysis, will be held on 28-29 May, at ESA-ESTEC, The Netherlands. Attendees data
- 12th SPINE meeting12th SPINE Meeting on the 7th of February 2008. Attendees | Attendees data Purpose This meeting will focus on the utilisation of the SPIS software and the analysis of the requirements for its maintenance and evolution. Location Escape Dance Room, ESTEC, The Netherlands Organisation All SPIS users are invited to attend the meeting and to submit the title of their presentation dealing with the utilisation of SPIS. Please send an email as early as possible to indicate whether you are planning to attend and with a preliminary title of your presentation. SPIS users not able to attend this meeting are… Read more: 12th SPINE meeting
- 10th SCTC conference18-21 June 2007 10th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference, Biarritz, France. Abstract submission deadline 2nd of February 2006.
- 11th SPINE meeting and SPIS training courseAttendees | Attendees data Introduction Purpose At the 11th SPINE meeting, research activities performed by SPINE members will be presented and discussion will take place on topics of interest to the coordination of the members activities. A course on the newly developed spacecraft plasma interaction SPIS code will take place on 19-20 April. Key-words: spacecraft plasma interactions, spacecraft charging, CAD for space engineering, courses, libreSource, space environment, harmonisation, Open source software. Organisation and Location These meeting will be held at ESA/ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, on 18-19-20 April 2007. Room: Escape Dance Room Preliminary Programme Wednesday 18 April: Review of SPINE… Read more: 11th SPINE meeting and SPIS training course
- 10th SPINE meetingAttendees | Attendees data Introduction Purpose This meeting has been held on 7 and 8 December 2005. Progress on the development of the open source SPIS code and community collaboration tools will be presented on 7 December while progress of the Working Group 3 activities on spacecraft charging will be presented on 8 December. Key-words: spacecraft charging, CAD for space engineering, libre source, space environment, harmonisation, Open source software. Organisation and Location This meeting will be held at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, on 7-8 December 2005 in the Escape Dance Room. Preliminary Programme Wednesday December 7, 10am-5:30pm: SPIS final presentation… Read more: 10th SPINE meeting
- IAGA Symposium GAIII.1125 July 2005, Centre de Palais des Congres Pierre Baudis, Toulouse, France. Announcement and call for abstracts Active and passive spacecraft systems interact with the plasma environment via various processes which may lead to changes of electrostatic potential, electrical currents, induced plasma, sparks, torques and forces. On one hand these effects can be a limiting factor for certain space plasma measurements and for the operation of space systems. On the other hand, they can be exploited to control the electrostatic environment, generate thrust and power or to investigate new classes of plasma phenomena in space. Topics to be covered include,… Read more: IAGA Symposium GAIII.11
- 9th SPINE meetingAttendees | Attendees data Introduction The development of a new Spacecraft-Plasma Interaction modelling Software (SPIS) was started within SPINE community in December 2002. The motivations and requirements for this software development were recalled during the 4th SPINE Meeting. The first software developments and Working Group activities for software testing and appropriation were reported during the 5th SPINE Meeting. The first operational version of the software was released and a course on SPIS was held in Kiruna during 6th SPINE Meeting. New versions was released around 7th SPINE Meeting and 8th SPINE meeting. Releases of SPIS software can be found on… Read more: 9th SPINE meeting
- 8th SPINE meetingAttendees | Attendees data Introduction The development of a new Spacecraft-Plasma Interaction modelling Software (SPIS) was started within SPINE community in December 2002. The motivations and requirements for this software development were recalled during the 4th SPINE Meeting. The first software developments and Working Group activities for software testing and appropriation were reported during the 5th SPINE Meeting. The first operational version of the software was released and a course on SPIS was held in Kiruna during 6th SPINE Meeting. A second version was released around 7th SPINE Meeting. It allowed an easier control of the solvers through the Graphical… Read more: 8th SPINE meeting
Older events timeline
- 4-8 April 2005: 9th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference, Epochal Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan
- March 28 – April 1, 2005, ISSS-7, 7th International School/Symposium for Space Simulation, Kyoto, Japan
- 24-25 June 2004: 7th SPINE Meeting at CNES Toulouse, France
- 14-17 March 2004: 6th SPINE Meeting : – SPIS course at IRF Kiruna, Sweden
- 20-24 October 2003: 8th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference, Huntsville, Alabama, USA
- 16-17 September 2003: 5th SPINE Meeting.
- 9 July 2003: IUGG 2003 General Assembly Symposium GAIII.11 on “How do Spacecraft Interact With Their Space Environment?”, Sapporo, Japan.
- 25 February 2003: 4th Spine Meeting, Einstein Conference room, ESTEC (25-02-2003 to 26-02-2003)
- 29 July 2002: ESA ITT for Spacecraft Plasma Interaction Analysis and Simulation Software Toolkit (29-7-2002)
- 4 March 2002: Cluster Workshop, Mini-Splinter session, Newton-1 conference Room, ESTEC (4-3-2002-9:30)
- 28 February 2002: 3rd Spine Meeting, Einstein Conference room, ESTEC (28-2-2002-14:00 to 1-3-2002-16:00)
- 28 February 2002: ECSS, meeting, Einstein, conference room, ESTEC (9:00-13:00)
- 4 May 2001: Submission of proposal for a EU Research Training Network, SPINET
- 27 April 2001: 2nd SPINE Meeting (ESTEC, NL)
- 23-27 April 2001: “2001: A Spacecraft Charging Odyssey”, the 7th Spacecraft Charging Technology Conference (ESTEC, NL)
- 4 December 2001: Workshop on ECSS standard ECSS-E-20-06 (CNES, F)
- 1 November 2000: Workshop on definition of ECSS standard for Spacecraft Charging, ECSS-E-20-06 (ESTEC, NL).
- 31 October 2000: 1st SPINE Meeting (ESTEC, NL)
- 24-25 February 2000: European Round Table on the Modelling of S/C – Plasma Interactions (ESTEC, NL; SPINE K.O.)